Preventative Dental Care in Stoneham
Lund Dental Associates offers dental services for all ages in the Stoneham, MA area. Our team of doctors and staff is dedicated to ensuring that all our patients achieve and maintain optimal oral health. Therefore, we offer a wide range of services including general dentistry, pediatric dentistry and cosmetic dentistry. We also work hard to ensure that each patient understands proper oral hygiene to ensure the prevention of gum disease, cavities and other common oral problems.
Prevention and education are important in our practice. It is vital that each of our patients knows and understands how to take charge of and protect their oral health. The first step of preventative dental care consists of a comprehensive examination. This examination allows our dentists to gather the necessary information in order to provide a thorough diagnosis and treatment plan. This examination will include:
- Oral Cancer Screening: We are committed to the prevention of oral cancer through the early identification of pre-cancerous conditions, and we provide oral cancer screenings at each preventive care appointment.
- Dental Exam: A clinical exam and radiograph (x-rays) findings are used to determine the most conservative treatment plan for your oral needs.
- Periodontal Examination: Periodontal (gum) disease is the leading cause of tooth loss in the United States. We will examine your gum tissues to ensure that any gum disease is detected and treated. We take the health of your gum and bone tissues very seriously.
- Orthodontic Examination: We examine the position of your teeth and the relationship between your upper and lower jaws. If your teeth are not properly aligned, excessive tooth wear, jaw damage and periodontal issues can occur. By realigning your teeth and jaws, we can establish a proper bite while also improving the aesthetics.
- Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Examination: Temporomandibular Dysfunction (TMD) is a condition that affects thousands of people. Frequent indicators of TMD include popping and clicking of the jaw, limited jaw function, pain in the neck, shoulders, and upper back and pain and pressure in the face and ears. We provide therapies that can minimize this painful and frustrating problem.
- X-Rays: We use digital (computer based) x-rays that use a fraction of the radiation of regular x-rays. The images are also clearer and easier to use for diagnostic purposes. We understand your concerns about radiation exposure, so we only take the necessary films needed to properly diagnose your dental health.
- Camera: We take photographs of all the teeth to help you better understand all treatment recommendations.
Diagnostic & Preventative Services From Stoneham Family Dentist
Our expert dentists are very proactive in staying up to date with the latest treatment and technology. Below are different preventative services we offer.
Sealants: Sealants protect the chewing surfaces of the back teeth and should be applied as a child’s permanent teeth erupt. Though typically placed on children’s teeth, adult molars can also be sealed, provided a tooth does not show evidence of decay. The sealants that we have placed have been highly successful in preventing decay.
Fluoride Treatments: Fluoride applications help to strengthen the enamel on your child’s teeth, making it more difficult for cavities to develop. Children should receive fluoride treatments every six months. Adults with a high rate of cavities and those with dry mouth should also receive fluoride treatments every six months.
Tooth Desensitization: Fluoride can also help adults by reducing the pain and discomfort caused by exposed root surfaces (receding gums). Regular fluoride application helps eliminate root sensitivity. Out patients have found it helpful to have a series of fluoride treatments to reduce their sensitivity, followed by possible at-home applications.
Regular Continuing Care Cleaning: These appointments are very important because they allow us to monitor your oral health and clean under your gum line (where the toothbrush can’t reach). They also help promote healthy gums and teeth by removing the plaque that causes decay and gum infection.
Deep Scaling & Root Planing: Deep scaling and root planing is an effective way to treat many forms of periodontal disease. This deep dental cleaning involves removing built-up plaque and tartar below the gum line using either manual scraping instruments or an ultrasonic tool. The tooth’s root surfaces, which tend to harbor bacteria, are smoothed or planed, allowing the gum tissue to heal. Once this treatment is complete, another appointment will be made to check how the gums have healed and periodontal pockets have decrease.
Antibiotic Irrigation: This procedure can be used at home or in our office to control the bacteria that causes periodontal disease. The gum tissue is bathed and flushed with an antibiotic preparation to promote healing of the gum tissue. Our hygienist can tell you how.
Night Guard Therapy: Night guards are used as a treatment option to prevent damage to the chewing surfaces of the teeth associated with grinding and clenching. It is a conservative treatment that is very successful and highly recommended for patients with TMD. By creating an acrylic pattern of your teeth, Dr. William Lund and Dr. Cara Lund can help you protect your teeth from unnecessary wear.