Scaling and Root Planing Post-Op
- Your anesthesia will wear off in approximately 1 to 3 hours after the procedure. It is very important not to chew on the numb side until the anesthesia wears off. It is easy to bite or burn your cheek, tongue, or lip while numb.
- Following scaling and root planing, you can expect to notice less redness, less bleeding, and less swelling of your gum tissues. Your teeth may feel smoother, and your mouth will taste and feel better. Your gum health must be maintained with proper home care, as instructed, and regular professional care.
- It is not unusual for the teeth to be more sensitive to hot or cold temperatures, and/or sweets. This occurs as the gum tissue heals and shrinks in size. Brushing two to three times daily with sensitivity may help alleviate this over time. If sensitivity continues or is severe, professional application of a desensitizing agent may be required.
- Consistent and thorough daily oral hygiene is essential to the proper healing of your gum tissues. Following the daily oral hygiene regimen that your hygienist tailored specifically to you is imperative.
- If a localized antibiotic (Arestin) was placed, please follow all additional instructions given to you at your appointment.
- In most cases, only one half of the mouth is treated at a visit. Please remember to keep all appointments to complete the treatment on the opposite side, and all follow-up appointments thereafter.
We thank you for being a part of the Lund Dental family.