As we being the process of reopening the practice, we want to keep you informed on updated safety protocols that keep you and our team protected and healthy. Infection control has always been a top priority for our practice and you may have seen this during your visits to our office. Drs. Cara Lund, William C. Lund, Marc E. Pearlstein, and Richard Senatore and our entire team follow procedures recommended by several federal agencies: the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Our infection control processes are made so that when you receive care, it’s both safe and comfortable.
You may see some changes when it is time for your next appointment. We made these changes to help protect our patients and team.
For example (and more updates to come!):
- Our office will communicate with you beforehand to ask some screening questions and email you all needed paperwork which you will digitally fill out. You’ll be asked those same questions again when you are in the office and will also have your temperature taken.
- Our team will also be screened daily and have their temperatures taken three times a day.
- We have a “Sanitation Station” where the beverages use to be. We will ask you to visit it when you enter the office.
- You may see that our reception area will no longer offer magazines, children’s toys, and so forth, since those items are difficult to clean and disinfect.
- · Appointments will be managed to allow for social distancing between patients. That might mean that you’re offered fewer options for scheduling your appointment.
- · We will do our best to allow greater time between patients to reduce waiting times for you, as well as to reduce the number of patients in the reception area at any one time.
How is my treatment room prepared for me?
Lund Dental has always followed the strictest disinfection and sterilization guidelines. Great care is taken before and after every patient appointment. Treatment surfaces such as chair surfaces, countertops, lights, trays, and x-ray machines are disinfected with safe and effective products. If a surface can be covered with protective plastic, it is.
How are the instruments cleaned before my visit?
We use the following standard sterilization procedures with all hand pieces and instruments:
- Instruments are brought into the sterilization room.
- Instruments are placed in an ultrasonic cleaner to eliminate microscopic debris.
- Before being sterilized, the instruments are rinsed thoroughly in clean, pure water.
- Sterilization occurs in an autoclave that reaches a temperature of 400 to 425 degrees.
- After 20 minutes of sterilization, all viruses and bacteria have been destroyed.
- To ensure their safety and effectiveness, our dry heat sterilizer and autoclave are regularly monitored by professionals.
Will the clinical team look different?
You will notice some differences in the clinical team. We have always worn safety glasses, masks, and gloves, but now you will notice face shields. Any disposable protective gear is discarded between patients and all other gear is carefully disinfected.
The best defense against disease is information. The more you know, the better equipped you are to make wise decisions about your health care. The more you know about our daily procedures and policies, the more comfortable you will feel. Please refer to our website for continued updates.
We will be happy to answer any questions you may have regarding patient protection and give you a personal tour of our sterilization facility!