Arestin® Stoneham MA
Treating Gum Disease with Arestin®
Periodontal disease is a serious infection under your gum line.
ARESTIN® contains tiny, bead-like particles filled with the antibiotic minocycline which release the drug over time into the infected periodontal pocket, killing the bacteria that cause periodontal disease.
- ARESTIN® is placed painlessly under the infected gums and continues to fight the infection for up to 21 days.
- Avoid chewing hard, crunchy, or sticky foods (i.e., carrots, taffy, and gum) with the treated teeth for 1 week.
- Do not brush or touch the treated areas for 12 hours.
- Do not floss or use an interproximal cleaning device around the treated tooth or teeth for 10 days.
- Some mild to moderate sensitivity is normal during the first week after ARESTIN® placement.
- Please call our office if pain, swelling, or other problems occur.
ARESTIN® fights infection and inflammation for 30 days,1 and provides significantly better results than scaling and root planing alone for up to 90 days.2
You will be scheduled for a reevaluation of the area. If pocketing persists, the area will be checked for debris and debrided if necessary. Additional antibiotics may be placed in the pocket. If pocketing continues to persist, we will discuss referring you to a periodontist for more aggressive therapy.
1. Goodson JM, Gunsollwy JC, Grossi SG, et al. Minocycline HCl microspheres reduce red-complex bacteria in periodontal disease therapy. J Periodontol 2007;78(8):1568-1579.
2. Williams RC, Paquette DW, Offenbacher S, et al. Treatment of periodontitis by local administration of minocycline microspheres: a controlled trial. J Periodontol 2001;72:1535-1544.